Friday, January 29, 2021

The music of Black History Month

If you know me even a little bit, you know that music is one of the most important parts of my life. I write, play, and listen to music all the time. I've made the majority of my friends through choir, band, church music, or musical theatre (and of course their friends and significant others) Silence is seldom present in my house, because I'm constantly spinning something from my 1300+ record collection.

Back in April of 2020, I was tasked on Facebook to participate in one of those "Post 10 albums" challenges. Over the course of ten days, I posted albums that were significant to me, and I took it a step further by actively listening to that album in its entirety and posting a photo of it on vinyl if I had it on that medium. It wasn't until after I was done that I noticed every single album I posted was by a white artist; all from the US and the UK. 

To right that wrong, as well as just listen to some of my favorite music by some of my favorite artists, I'll be devoting February, Black History Month, to listening to black artists. (I think they're all American in this case) I will listen to at least one album per day from the below artists. I know there are glaring omissions of some of the best black artists. (i.e. Miles Davis, Nina Simone, Prince, and any hip hop artists whatsoever) It's not meant to be exclusive; nor would it be possible in just 28 days.  I also know there seems to be a predominate focus on old school blues and soul music, but this is due to how much of it I have on vinyl, and how much I love it!

Below is the list of artists I will be listening to. If you'd like to join along, I've included a recommended album and songs for those of you who'd prefer them. Most of these should be available on the major streaming services if you want to listen along.

Day: February 1
Artist: Aretha Franklin
Album: I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
Songs: "Respect" "Think" "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man" "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman"


Day: February 2
Artist: BB King
Album: Blues on Top of Blues
Songs: "Sweet Little Angel" "The Thrill Is Gone" "Every Day I Have the Blues" "How Blue Can You Get?"

Day:
February 3
Artist: Otis Redding
Album: Complete & Unbelievable: The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul
Songs: "I've Been Loving You Too Long" "Respect" "Satisfaction" "These Arms of Mine"

Day:
February 4
Artist: Tina Turner (with and without Ike)
Album: Private Dancer
Songs: "What's Love Got to Do With It?" "River Deep, Mountain High" "Proud Mary"

Day:
February 5
Artist: Chuck Berry (also check out his cousin Marvin!)
Album: The Great Twenty-Eight
Songs: "Johnny B Goode" "School Days" "Maybellene"

Day:
February 6
Artist: Al Green
Album: Let's Stay Together
Songs: "Let's Stay Together" "I'm Still In Love With You" "Love and Happiness" "For the Good Times"

Day:
February 7
Artist: Mavis Staples (with and without The Staple Singers)
Album: If All I Was Was Black
Songs: "You Are Not Alone" "I'll Take You There" "The Weight" "Until I Met You" "Slippery People"

Day:
February 8
Artist: Stevie Wonder
Album: Songs in the Key of Life
Songs: "Higher Ground" "Superstition" "Sir Duke" "Living for the City"

Day:
February 9
Artist: Jimi Hendrix
Album: Are You Experienced
Songs: "The Wind Cries Mary" "Purple Haze" "Fire" "Hey Joe"

Day:
February 10 (It's her birthday!)
Artist: Roberta Flack
Album: First Take
Songs: "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" "Killing Me Softly"

Day:
February 11
Artist: Isaac Hayes
Album: Hot Buttered Soul
Songs: "Walk On By" "Theme from Shaft" "Joy" 

Day:
February 12
Artist: The Supremes/Diana Ross
Album: Where Did Our Love Go
Songs: "Where Did Our Love Go" "Stop in the Name of Love" "I'm Coming Out" "Baby Love"

Day:
February 13
Artist: Michael Jackson (also The Jackson 5)
Album: Thriller
Songs: "Billie Jean" "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" "The Way You Make Me Feel" "I Want You Back"

Day:
February 14
Artist: Marvin Gaye
Album: What's Going On (although being Valentine's Day, maybe Let's Get It On is more apropros)
Songs: "What's Going On" "Mercy Mercy Me" "Let's Get It On" "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)"

Day:
February 15
Artist: Curtis Mayfield/The Impressions
Album: Roots
Songs: "Superfly" "People Get Ready" "Move On Up"

Day:
February 16 (Yes, I put Satchmo on Mardi Gras intentinoally)
Artist: Louis Armstrong
Album: What a Wonderful World
Songs: "When the Saints Go Marching In" "Dream a Little Dream of Me" "Cabaret" "What a Wonderful World"

Day:
February 17
Artist: Albert King
Album: Born Under a Bad Sign
Songs: "Born Under a Bad Sign" "I Almost Lost My Mind" "I'll Play the Blues For You" "Blues Power"


Day:
February 18
Artists: (Philly Soul Three-Parter)---The Delfonics, The Spinners, The Stylistics
Albums: The Delfonics, The Spinners, The Stylistics
Songs: "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)" "La La Means I Love You" "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love" "You're a Big Girl Now"

Day:
February 19
Artist: Ray Charles
Album: Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music
Songs: "What'd I Say" "Georgia on my Mind" "America the Beautiful" "Hit the Road Jack" "Here We Go Again"

Day:
February 20
Artist: Duke Ellington
Album: Ellington at Newport
Songs: "Take the A-Train" "Caravan" "In a Sentimental Mood"

Day:
February 21
Artist: John Lee Hooker
Album: It Serve You Right to Suffer
Songs: "Boom Boom" "Money (That's What I Want)" "Boogie Chillen"

Day:
February 22
Artist: Booker T Jones (Booker T & the MG's - They play on so many of these other artists' music, because they were the house band at STAX recording studio and went on to produce music for others well into old age)
Album: Hip-Hug Her
Songs: "Green Onions" "Hip Hug Her" "Soul Limbo"

Day:
February 23
Artist: Whitney Houston
Album: Whitney Houston
Songs: "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" "The Greatest Love of All" "Saving All My Love For You" "I Will Always Love You"

Day:
February 24
Artist: James Brown
Album: Live at the Apollo
Songs: "I Got You" "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" "It's a Man's, Man's, Man's World"

Day:
February 25
Artist: Little Richard
Album: Here's Little Richard
Songs: "Tutti Frutti" "Good Golly Miss Molly" "Keep a Knockin"

Day:
February 26
Artist: Harry Belafonte
Album: Calypso
Songs: "Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)" "Jump In Line (Shake Senora)" "Matilda"

Day:
February 27
Artist: Ella Fitzgerald
Album: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Gershwin Songbook Vol. 1
Songs: "Love Is Here To Stay" "Dream a Little Dream of Me" "Someone to Watch Over Me" "Summertime"

Day:
February 28
Artist: Howlin' Wolf
Album: Moanin' in the Moonlight
Songs: "Smokestack Lightning" "Evil" "Back Door Man"

No comments:

Post a Comment